The Government introduced a sports premium for schools from September 2013. This means that schools receive an additional £10,000 (approximately) per year. The purpose of this funding is to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sports provision across the country. It aims to increase participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of.
For some years we have worked in close partnership with Bishop Challenor School Sports Partnership. They have provided us with excellent support and we are keen to use our sports premium funding to develop our work with them even further. By buying into the Bishop Challenor package we will:
- Have training for all of our teachers on the features of the best PE lessons, along with support in planning effective lessons
- Be able to send each teacher on a PE training course in an area of their choice eg swimming, dance
- Teachers who are in the first 3 years of teaching will be offered additional PE-focussed training
- A specialist sports teacher working alongside our teachers in PE lessons to develop our practise even further
- Training for our PE leader
- Have opportunities for our children to take part in a range of competitions
- Receive training and resources for our young leaders. These are Y5+6 children who lead a wide range of activities at lunchtime so that all children are engaged in purposeful, fun activity
- Have extra before and after school clubs offered to our children
- Have opportunities to be involved in the Sainsbury’s school games
Our aim is to ensure that PE teaching at Lakey Lane is outstanding; all of our children are involved in a range of sports activities both within the school day and outside of it, along with opportunities to take part in competitions.
Impact so far- June 2015
Monitoring of teaching in PE during 2014 showed that the training that has been put in place has had a very positive impact, with 92% of teaching being judged as good or outstanding.
During our most recent OFSTED inspection in February 2014 Inspectors commented that “the sports funding provided to primary schools is used wisely to improve the quality of physical education teaching and enhance the range of activities on offer.”
We have had lots of successful involvement in competitions:
- Dance- 1st place
- Rounders- 1st place
- Football- 1st place
- Cricket-4th place
Well done to all of the children for their hard work and commitment. A special thanks to Miss Patel, Miss Cartmill and Mrs Buck for all of their hard work, and to all of the parents who support their children.